“For most people, technology makes things easier. For people with disabilities, technology makes things possible.” – Mary Pat Radabaugh
Technology offers countless possibilities and opens doors many never even knew were closed. Throughout the past several decades, advancements in technology have proven beneficial to the human race–both those with or without disabilities. With technology, individuals who cannot walk are now able to get around in a powered wheelchair; those who could not speak can now communicate via AAC devices; and those who cannot hear are now able to communicate on the phone with friends and loved ones with the help of the forthcoming RogerVoice app.
RogerVoice is an app founded in France by Olivier Jeannel, a man who is deaf with over 80% hearing loss. To communicate, many people who are hard-of-hearing rely on lip reading or sign language, but these two methods aren’t possible over a standard phone call.
RogerVoice has been designed from the ground up for people who cannot hear on the phone. To use this application, simply install it on your smartphone or tablet, make a call using the app, and receive instant live text transcriptions. RogerVoice is the first mobile app that subtitles phone conversations in real-time, a feature that engages the hearing with the hard-of-hearing in exciting new ways.
The company has been working on the technology and the design for over a year, testing and getting feedback from individuals around the world. Sydney, the CTO stated: “When Olivier first told me his idea, at first I thought that’s impossible–there’s no way it could be done. Well it’s incredible but we’ve done it.” The goal is to make phone calls simple and accessible to all individuals. Technology behind this app eliminates the need to rely on human intermediaries, making all calls private and confidential.
With RogerVoice, users may:
- Get in touch and take control of their lives again. Users can now make their own doctor’s appointments and more without having to sit and wait for others.
- Never miss a job offer or apartment listing again just because they couldn’t make a phone call.
- Reach out to friends and loved ones easier. Isolation is a hard fact of life for many people and is often caused by the inability to make phone calls.
- Mobile: works on your device wherever you are, at home or away.
- Multilingual: transcribes in your language, covering most of the major spoken languages and accents in the world: English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, German, Japanese and more.
- Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Private and confidential: phone calls made via RogerVoice will only be between you and your correspondent, no intermediaries.
- Wireless connectivity: the RogerVoice app is designed to be Bluetooth compatible
- Multi-device support: smartphones, tablets, and desktop computers are all compatible with the app.
- Superior voice recognition: RogerVoice provides the best possible speech-to-text software.
RogerVoice is currently being funded on Kickstarter and will be available to the public soon.