Many developers have been designing apps to encourage handwriting development. A newer example of such an app is Yum-Yum Letters by Kindermatica Ltd. If you’re wanting a fun app to teach your kiddo how to write his/her letters, check out Yum-Yum Letters!
Yum-Yum Letters features cute characters like a plump caterpillar or cheery snowflake which help trace letters. The app is “so cheery and full of positive reinforcement and encouragement, kids will view tracing as a game. They have a choice of scratching out letters on a frosty window or munching through alphabet imprinted leaves to get to a shiny red apple.”
After your child finishes tracing a series of letters, he/she will receive a reward which may be helping the caterpillar transform into a butterfly, or making a snowflake from jewel-like ice crystals. Children have so much fun with these mini-games, they don’t even realize they’re working on their motor skills and the control they need to write!
Features of Yum-Yum Letters:
- Friendly animated characters serve as guides
- Multi-sensory auditory and visual feedback while writing
- Generous praise for each attempt
- Creative themed games to celebrate accomplishments
- No grades or penalties for mistakes
- Inviting graphics, music, and professional voiceover keep the mood upbeat
- Groups of letters based on similarity of strokes and difficulty
- Dedicated easy mode for beginners and children with special needs that uses maximum prompts for each of 3 tries
- Detailed progress reports to track the status of each letter (studied, learned, not attempted), number of tries and mistakes and uses data to reorder letters for additional practice