Sight words are words that children memorize to begin learning how to read and write. If you’re looking for a fun, interactive app to help teach sight words, check out the Sight Word Superhero app!
According to SightWords.com:
“Learning sight words allows a child to recognize these words at a glance – on sight – without needing to break the words down into their individual letters and is the way strong readers recognize most words.”
The Sight Word Superhero app helps children learn sight words by hearing the word and selecting the correct one. It specifically teaches Dolch Sight Words, which is the “most commonly used set of sight words.” Dolch words are commonly divided into groups by grade level from Pre-K (e.g. a, and, big, blue, etc.) to 3rd grade (e.g. about, better, bring, carry, etc.).
Click here to learn more about Dolch Sight Words.
Overview of the Sight Word Superhero app:
- Children can defeat different levels to unlock colorfully illustrated sight word stories
- Defeat the bosses within the game to unlock new game features
- There is a timed mode and fun mini-games where children can earn fun powerups!
- Parents and teachers are able to set certain customizations such as:
- Which words appear in timed-mode or not
- Choose between an American boy voice or a British woman voice
- And more!