What a surreal year 2020 has been so far! I never thought I’d miss something as simple as sitting in a restaurant or going shopping at the mall. Anywhere you go, you see individuals covering their faces with medical and handmade masks. Prior to seeing everyone in masks, I had no idea how much I relied on reading someone’s lips for communication! And lip reading is especially essential for individuals with hearing impairments. The ClearMask is a transparent solution!
The ClearMask is a full-face transparent surgical mask making “healthcare more human by improving whole-face communication for more compassionate, inclusive connections.” The product’s website goes on to explain the importance of the mask:
“Over half of communication is visual. We often depend on facial expressions and visual cues when we communicate with others. As humans, we are highly attuned to facial expressions and emotions, even on a subconscious level.
As a fully transparent face mask, the ClearMask™ helps improve communication for everyone. The ability to see others’ facial expressions and emotions can improve the patient-provider relationship and quality of care. When individuals are able to see each other’s faces and smiles, outcomes such as patient satisfaction, trust, and health can improve.”
Overview of the ClearMask:
- The first transparent mask with full-face visibility. Their website says, “Our mask has a smart, patent-pending design optimized for comfort and breathability while providing assured protection”
- The mask is for single-use only and cannot be reused
- Traditional masks block bodily fluids and particulate materials away from the wearer’s face
- The ClearMask serves the same functions as traditional masks and provides a full, anti-fog plastic barrier that stops particles or droplets from getting through
- This mask is not the same as an N95 respirator, which is designed to filter
- Blocks aerosols, fluids, and sprays from our faces