Over the years we’ve written about several different text-to-speech tools. Text-to-speech (TTS) is a type of assistive technology that reads digital text aloud. If you’re looking for a tool to help turn handwriting into speech, check out HandySpeech!
The HandySpeech App is the only handwriting-to-speech application for iOS devices. It helps provide individuals with speech and hearing impairments a quick and easy conversational tool. HandySpeech’s ability to translate handwriting into spoken language makes it “easier to use” and “more natural” than commercially available keyboarding solutions. It may benefit individuals with muscular dystrophy, ALS, autism, and so much more!
This revolutionary app was developed by Eric Zeiberg, a 12-year-old boy who has a sister with autism. Here’s more from the app’s developer:
“I invented HandySpeech to give a voice to people who find it difficult to or are unable to speak. The application is dedicated to courageous people who struggle every day to overcome their disabilities. I hope that HandySpeech will provide much needed help and open new opportunities for people in need.”
Overview of the HandySpeech App:
- Simple-to-use iOS app where users write what they want to say in any one of the 13 languages and the software converts the handwriting into speech
- Quick and easy conversational tool for individuals with speech and hearing impairments
- The app may benefit individuals with autism, muscular dystrophy, traumatic brain injury, and more
- The app remembers your favorite and most commonly used phrases so they’re readily available for use at the store, doctor’s office, and more
- For use anywhere regardless if there’s WiFi or not
- Advanced handwriting recognition technology:
- Improves ability to recognize user’s handwriting over time
- Corrects written words based on user’s intention
- “Best natural-sounding male and female voices available on the market”
- The app can read cursive, print, and mixed handwriting styles
- Alternative keyboard input
Click here to learn more!