Is your parent getting older, but trying to remain as independent as possible? There are many assistive technologies to make aging in place possible, such as GreatCall products, different alert indicators, home automation systems, and more. Another type of assistive technology that can wholly benefit these individuals (and others) is medication dispensers. Of course, there are the generic daily ones you can buy at a dollar store, but if you’re like me, you’ll still forget to take your medication if you misplace or cover the container!
Further, did you know it’s estimated that “50% of prescriptions dispensed annually are not taken correctly, and that 30% of all hospital admissions for people over 65 are directly attributable to medication non-compliance?”
For today’s blog, I wanted to provide you with a thorough list of different medication dispensers available to help ensure you or your loved one(s) take necessary medications at correct times.
4 Functional Medication Dispensers:
1. MedCenter SmartPack Monthly Pill Organizer Set
First up on the list of medication dispensers is one from MedCenter. MedCenter’s system is a monthly pill organizer and reminder system for your daily medications. The company said the system was carefully crafted after thorough research:
“Through our research, we discovered that often confusion can occur as to what day of the week it is, once a person retires and their daily norm is no longer dependent upon a work week schedule. Because of this, our system emphasizes ‘Date’ rather than day of the week. The ‘Date’ is located on each Pill Box and Pill Cavity, the visual display of the Clock as well as audibly during the alert messages.”
Features of MedCenter System:
- Load the entire month’s medications in the (31) Daily Pill Boxes and place them into the organizer with Green ends up
- Green means box is full
- Turn over after taking medication to make it red, showing you you already took it.
- Includes an audible alarm clock
- You can set up to 4 daily alarms
- Large easy-to-read LCD screen with backlight makes clock easy to read day or night.
- Repeating friendly reminder notifies you of the time, date, and which daily dose to take, “Good morning! Please take your morning pills for the 20th!”
To learn more about the MedCenter System, click here.
2. Med-E-Lert Automatic Pill Dispenser
Med-E-Lert Automatic Pill Dispenser by Group Medical Supply, LLC. is an affordable and reliable choice for a medication dispenser. The company has more recently improved its locking mechanism and key and added a louder alarm with a blinking light!
Med-E-Lert Automatic Pill Dispenser Features:
- Medication reminders up to six times daily
- Unit retains program settings when changing batteries
- 28 compartment trays that can hold up to 18 aspirin-sized pills per compartment
- 20% more space than other automatic pill dispensers
- Compact and portable
- Tamper-proof locking system helps reduce overdosing
- Now comes with both clear and white opaque lid
To learn more about the Med-E-Lert system, click here.
3. Alert1® Medication Reminder and Organizer
This Medication Reminder and Organizer from Alert1® is as “simple to set as a digital clock.” It features an extra large LED display and allows you to program up to 4 medication reminders per day. With the Alert1® Medication Reminder and Organizer, you’ll never have to worry about remembering to check the organizer because the alarm will make sure you know when to take your medication.
Features of the Alert1® Medication Reminder and Organizer:
- If a patient misses a dose, the dispenser denies access to the missed dose to avoid overdosing
- Compartments keep medication in place when turned upside-down or shaken
- Dispenser is protected by a lock to prevent tampering
- Switches automatically to rechargeable battery power if AAC power is unavailable
- Audible alarm notifies user of dosage times
- Alerts and dispenses up to 4 times daily
- Compartments hold up to 9 M&M sized pills each, each dispenser holds 28 doses
For more information on the Alert1® Medication Reminder and Organizer, click here!
4. MedTime Station with Tipper and Dispensing Cup
If you are looking for a more complex medication dispenser, e-pill has several options available to suit you/your loved one’s unique needs. One option available is the MedTime Station with Tipper and Dispensing Cup. This is a 6 alarm all-in-one locked automatic pill dispenser with a tipper and dispensing cup for all of your medications. It is designed to prevent forgotten medications and overdosing.
Features of the MedTime Station with Tipper and Dispensing Cup:
- Automatically dispenses medication into the dispensing cup, making it easy to take the pills. (This feature is perfect for those with tremors or poor fine motor skills.)
- Holds 28 medication events (refill every 14 days at twice-a-day dosing)
- Alarms and dispenses up to 6 times daily. When the alarm is sounding/light is flashing, simply move the blue handle forward to dispense medications into the medicine cup.
- Holds up to 18 aspirin sized tablets per dose.
- No monthly fees!
To learn more about the MedTime Station, click here.